What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is an ancient system used to find wellness by finding a balance between the mind, body, and spirit. Ayurveda means the knowledge of life (Ayur = life, Veda = knowledge). In Ayurveda, the goal is to prevent disease by finding balance in energetically within the body. When the body is functioning properly, the natural defense within the body itself will be strong and create immunity to disease. To create wellness this means to find a healthy lifestyle that promotes balance in all areas (mind, body, spirit). Disease is looked to come from an imbalance between one or more of different energy sources, or doshas. When we are not functioning in an orderly manner within the doshas our body does not function properly and in time, creates illness.
The Five Elements
There are five elements present on the earth. They are space, air, fire, water, and earth. These five elements also make up the body and are the main focus in Ayurveda. Doshas are what we break the elements down, these doshas are used to represent the combination of the elements. There are three doshas in Ayurveda, they are Vata, Pita, Kapha. In the practice of Ayurveda, disease or lack of health, will arise when there is an imbalance within the five elements.
Vata is the Dosha made up of Ether and Air. It is dry, rough, cold. This Dosha is the movement energy within the body (breathing, body movement, blood circulation, sweat, nervous system)
- In Balance: Creativity, Flexibility
- Out of Balance: Fear, Anxiety, Low Confidence, Unstable, Ungrounded, Bloating, and Constipation.
- Attributes: Dry, Cold, Rough
- Season: Fall
- Body Type: Tall, Thin. Dark hair.
- Mind: Moving, Quick, Spacey
Pitta Dosha is made up of Fire and Water. This dosha is hot, oily, determined. It is in charge of digestion, the metabolism, and body temperature.
- In Balance: Intellegent, Strong Willpower
- Out of Balance: Anger, jealousy, balding, poor eye sight, and excessive sweating.
- Attributes: Oily, Hot, Liquid
- Season: Summer
- Body Type: Medium Build. Go grey easily, hair loss. Freckles. Rosy cheeks
- Mind: Strong Comprehension, Great with Ideas
Kapha Dosha is made up of Earth and Water. This dosha is cold, soft, heavy, grounded. It is in charge of bodily structure, strength, the body’s lubrication system, and energy.
- In Balance: Loving, Understanding, stable, grounded
- Out of Balance: Greediness. lethargic, excess much, and weight gain.
- Attributes: Strength, endurance, stamina
- Season: Winter
- Body Type: More developed muscle and gain weight easily. Thick skin and hair. Large eyes
- Mind: Slow, Giving
We are all made up of a combination of all three doshas. There will normally be one that take dominance, another that is a runner up, and one that you have few qualities of. Our body will house all of the five elements, but to different degrees. You will house these energies and when they are not in balance, struggle with the imbalanced area. Once you have an understanding of the doshas and how they are present in the body you will change the way you look at the imbalances. When you experience gas, you’ll see that your diet will be heavy in vata balancing food. When it is Winter, kapha season, you will want food that will be kapha balancing like warm, spicy foods.